Preserving a Creative Future
Since 1900, Yaddo has been a private retreat for select artists to work uninterrupted in a supportive community. Today, the expansive estate is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places and included in a locally-designated historic district.
For more than 30 years, The LA Group has worked side-by-side with Yaddo’s leadership to provide environmental, engineering, and landscape architecture services so Yaddo can continue its mission of welcoming artists from around the world.
Projects at Yaddo have ranged from overall site assessment studies and a garden master plan to project-specific renovation and restoration construction documents. The LA Group has also provided comprehensive restoration and contemporary use master plans for the 19th-century estate.
Various firm projects have received awards from the American Society for Landscape Architects, the American Concrete Institute, and the International Illuminating Engineering Society.
2018 Design of Honor Award, Society of American Registered Architects New York Council
2017 Honor Award, American Institute of Architects Eastern New York (AIAENY)
Yaddo Campus Projects:
- Cabins Project – A low impact design to expand the campus with residential artist cabins including access roads, individual parking lots, trail walks, landscaping, and associated utilities.
- Greenhouse Studio – Collaboration with building architect to site a new multi-discipline artist cabin, the first purpose-built campus addition for choreographers.
- National Historic Landmark Study – Compiled background data for potential submission for National Historic Landmark status.
- Rose Garden, Rock Garden, Sundial, and Japanese Garden Restorations – Evaluation and construction administration of fountains, statuary, water supply, mechanical equipment, and more.
- Horse Show Grounds – Two long-term master plans for the grounds in conjunction with Skidmore College
- Lake Water Quality Study – Monitoring and assessment of on-campus lakes for quality and negotiation process of siltation of neighboring runoff
- Property Acquisition Study – Land use assessment and consultation of surrounding properties for the purpose of negotiations with neighboring landowners
- Mansion Terrace Restoration – Construction documentation for restoration of deteriorated pavement, including upgrades to roof drains and stormwater treatment
- West House Restoration – Assessment and recommendations for improves to access and drainage
- Septic System Design and Water Line Update – Design and preparation of construction documents to serve several campus facilities
- Build and Ground Restoration Study – Extensive evaluation of existing conditions throughout the entire campus
- Garden Master Plan – Long-term planning guide to sustain and repair each historic garden