A Final Resting Place Closer to Home
There are more than 95,000 veterans and their family members between Buffalo and Rochester, New York. Though entitled to a final resting place in a national cemetery, they faced limited options as the closest cemetery was far from their homes and almost at capacity.
To meet the urgent need, the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs selected The LA Group as a prime consultant and designer for a new National Cemetery in Pembroke, New York roughly 15 miles east of Buffalo and 40 miles west of Rochester.
The initial phase of construction will develop around 70 acres and provide for approximately 10 years of burials, accommodating both casketed and cremated remains.
Design team services include survey, geotechnical investigation, site analysis, permitting analysis, water source analysis, alternative energy analysis, traffic analysis, site design, architectural design, civil engineering, a project labor agreement study, and cost estimating on a 198-acre site.
Scope required a master plan for the entire site, overall project management, and coordination of a large sub-consultant team. Subsequent design phases will include full construction documentation and construction administration for Phase One.
The Design program includes:
- Pre-placed crypts, columbarium, in-ground cremation, and ossuary
- Entrance area, memorial walls, and memorial walkway
- Maintenance facility and administration/public information building
- Committal service shelters, honor guard building, and assembly area
- ADA compliance
- LEED Silver certification
- Stormwater management, irrigation system, and on-site sewage disposal system