Consistent. Legible. Informative. Attractive.
As the oldest state park in the nation, Niagara Falls State Park has a long, rich history as a major tourist destination for national and international visitors alike who come to be inspired by the wonder and grandeur of the Falls. Multiple tourist attractions, miles of walkways and trails, several large parking areas, and a complete system of visitor amenities and services are spread out over more than 400 acres of park land, making Niagara Fall State Park a very complex environment to navigate. Unfortunately, the existing park signage was outdated, inadequate, and wasn’t fit for purpose, often causing visitors to struggle finding their way within the park.
The LA Group designed a coordinated system of wayfinding signs that are consistent, legible, informative and attractive. Signage is often to first layer of visitor experience and has the important role of creating a positive first impression. The new signage system complements the site’s historical and natural setting while meeting the contemporary needs of the park and the millions of people who visit each year. Symbols and pictograms supplement directional information to provide common non-verbal information to park visitors regardless of their native language. The result is a carefully planned wayfinding system that presents a single voice of identity across the entire park, providing visitors with seamless navigation as they explore one of America’s most spectacular natural wonders.
Wayfinding Planning and Design Services Provided:
- Complete inventory and analysis of existing signage and wayfinding elements
- Development of coordinated “family” of signage types (graphical and narrative)
- Development of signage graphic standards, guidelines, and manual
- 3D design and imagery of all signage types
- Development of landscape strategies to create gateway and branding opportunities
- Preparation of wayfinding site plans and construction documents
- Fabrication and installation details
- Bidding and Construction Administration
- Cost estimating
- Recommendation of general maintenance requirements
“We have modernized the oldest state park system in the nation by making strategic investments that help entice more and more visitors to this great state”
– Governor Cuomo