Enhancing Natural Beauty with Modern Recreational Opportunities
George W. Childs Park is a popular destination in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, Pennsylvania, for viewing impressive waterfalls, hiking, and picnicking. The LA Group, as a member of a multidisciplinary design-build team, assisted the NPS in a long-awaited park-wide rehabilitation of the 155-acre park.
Working closely with a team of architects and structural engineers, The LA Group:
- Implemented new standards for accessible trails throughout the Park, integrating six new overlook areas
- Supported the design of three bridges in the CCC vernacular to replace existing bridges, incorporating the stockpile of on-site felled trees that the park had available
- Obtained environmental permits for park components
- Provided design plans, construction drawings, and cost estimates for a parking lot upgrade, new comfort stations, trail restoration, signage and site furnishings, ecological and shoreline restoration, and stormwater management and erosion control
- Integrated green infrastructure stormwater strategies and the use of natural and native materials